Tuesday, June 23, 2009

bridgeport, ca


my feet smell.

seriously, i feel bad for the people at the other library terminals around me. i mean, i know the rest of me doesn't smell all that great either, but even i can smell those dogs. since june 4th, when i left kennedy meadows, my feet have not been dry for an entire day of hiking. add to that the fact that i was initially hoping to have new shoes over 100 miles ago (don't even get me started on that - they're still 75 miles up the trail) and you've got a potent combination. rain, snow, snow melt, mud, puddles that look like mud but are in fact 6" deep puddles, hundreds and hundreds of water crossings - including many major creek fords at knee to waist level, and damp nights have all contributed to my current condition.

on the bright side, it's been sunny for the past 5 straight days. and my side trip into yosemite valley was great. i even climbed half dome (unfortunately on a saturday), passing mere mortals (any non-thru-hikers) on the way up as if they were standing still. yosemite really is an impressive place. oh, and i did participate in hike naked day.

so, aside from no new shoes, the whereabouts of my next guidebook being as of yet unknown (current book runs out in 75 miles), the cheapest (by half) hotel in town being closed only tonight, my cell phone on roam, and not having seen another person on the trail since sunday morning, i'm having a great time.

i think this calls for a milkshake. no, probably a couple.

1 comment: